Pages

Monday 21 April 2014

Easter Rising!

Hey all, Happy Easter and hope your belly is not trailing like mine after making a complete sow of myself over Easter. But I can't lie, I LOVED every second of over-eating and drinking I honestly think I was made to do this...

Ok I have to admit my last update was a bit depressing looking over it now – but that’s the way it is. Some weeks are AWESOME and some weeks are just down right pure and utter SHITE! : )
Last week I ticked off my biggest training week yet…40km - not massive I know BUT baby steps, baby steps! AND this was an AWESOME week, yipppeeee!

Team Awesome!
Got a very beneficial body scan @measureup with all the other aspiring channel swimmers organised by a wonderful swimmer and friend Tara Diversi, who will continue to probe, test and experiment with all swimmers attending VLAD's cold water camp in melbourne this coming week. The scan gave very technical information, BMC, BMD, Body Fat %, where in your body the fat is distributed, and what  percentage your trunk, arms, legs etc store. I am sure this will all be of great benefit when I have the opportunity to ask Tara what it all means. At first glance I used the colour chart and appeared to be in the morbidly obese section (which hurt my feelings); so I immediately rang my partner with a big lump in my throat, to of course discover that dumb ass was reading it incorrectly and i'm only just OVERWEIGHT bahahahaha… look that’s only of the perks of open water swimming, particularly in cold water “you need fat as insulation” yippppeee so all that hard work of eating ice cream , muffins, chips and all the yummy stuff paid off – YESSSS I have confidence I won't die of hyperthermia - bring it on!

Anyways moving on from the overweight blah - Good Friday - mental that while when Jesus was getting crucified I was doing laps of Coogee beach (this doesn’t sound fair hey).  I met Scott Miers at Coogee with a few of his local swimming buddies and the water was PERFECT! We covered a decent 7.5km visiting the wedding cake island twice where it was really choppy, coming at us from every direction - brilliant!

Pink was the wardrobe choice of the day...
This week, my swim club also held its annual 100 x 100 session on Saturday morning in my most favourite pool in the world, Andrew Boy Charlton. I went to the pool with no expectations or pressure on myself, I just wanted to cover the 10k and get the funk out of there! But I LOVED IT! I had never done this set before and was interested to see what way it panned out and my body would react….and I WAS MAD FOR IT! 3 lanes of crazy amazing people turned up for this wonderful challenge, all under the order of Sergeant Charm! Coach Charm cleverly split the set into 10 x 10 100ms (hope you understand this as i'm confusing myself lol). By the 6th and 7th set of 10s, the numbers in the lane started to decrease. 

Sergeant Charm being her normal legend self!
The 4th, 8th and 9th sets were definitely the hardest and I was busting myself and giving it everything on the 9th set, thinking that the 10th set was a cool down – BUT NO, not at all! The last set of 10 x 100ms was to be the hardest of all! 4 HARD, 1 EASSSSSSSY (x2) …….HOLY F**K!, Charm enthusiastically says "you’re nearly there, you’re nearly at the other side in relation to the channel, push hard against the current" (well I think she was saying this amongst a few japanese and chinese words BAHAHAHA) but her encouragement  FLARED me up, BRING IT, it is only 10 more after all, we have already done 90! I think by the 3rd hard one, my arms were talking to me – like WTF are you doing, but I kept smiling and I surprisingly felt good and knew I had a little more in the tank because if I was that close to the shore of Scotland there is NOT A MISSION I was going to let the current f’ it up and not land my toes on that sand! Coming in on the last HARD of the day at 1min 13 secs – happy camper! Massive congrats to all involved.


AT LAST…seeing some fruits of hard work, feels good and I am happy with where I am at this time. Bring on Melbourne Cold Camp this Thursday for some more torture!

Pain is only weakness leaving the body - I must have a lot of weakness in my body - ouch!

1 comment:

  1. Well done girl. 10x10 100s, that is awesome. We've just started back in the lake, and I'm just glad to get 1k done. Keep up the good work and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete