Pages

Thursday 1 May 2014

ICE ICE BABY!!

Mike and I gettin' pumped up for the final 1.5km
This week was AWESOME, I learnt some much about the body and mind. I’ve just spent 4 days in Brighton, Melbourne doing a cold water swim camp organised by Vlad swim squad based in Sydney. It was extreme one may say - we endured around 16hrs in the water and covered approximately 60km. There was a group of around 20 swimmers of all ages and abilities, but one thing in common - all bloody CRAZY!


It is 5 days after the camp now and the body is still recovering, but overall its responded well and I am extremely happy with where I am in my preparation at the moment. I found 2 swims particularly hard -  the Friday night swim was for an hour and a half and we were not allowed to eat (for anyone that knows me - I LOVE MY FOOD and I get frangry when I’m hungry'). I also got a bit cocky in the 3 hour swim earlier on that day and maybe went a wee bit too hard considering we had to complete an 8 hour swim the next day. But after the swim, I did a Linford Christie and made a B-line for the fish and chip shop over the road from Brighton Bay! I looked like a homeless person wrapped up like an onion shivering uncontrollably and horsing the chip into me..MMMMMMMMM they were so good! (Not sure if I actually had time to taste them - but this is the power of the human mind and the tricks it plays on you…)

(Scary Me!!!) After the Big 8 Hour Swim...
The biggest challenge of the weekend though was the 8 hour swim on Saturday. The first 3 hours were sheer and utter HORROR… completing approximately 2km loop when it was still dark (started at 6am), cold, 30k winds and for a quarter to a third of the circuit the waves and the chop was intense! It was a challenge in itself to "just keep swimming". We had an opportunity to feed after each circuit by treading water while an army of amazing, patient volunteers were ready and giving you your feed and listening to you blurbing and complaining or just simply giving off ABUSE. Every time I stopped, even for less than a minute or two, and no matter how cold I was I still managed to get at least two to three curse words in BAHAHAHA. There was plenty of “JESUS' its roasting, why didn't I wear my bikini today?” with my lips purple, grey skies, and just freezing cold water! Volunteers were AMAZING - standing out in the cold, windy and occasional rainy conditions. THANK YOU to each and every one of you, you practically did the swim for me - without that support this task was IMPOSSIBLE and that’s why its is so important to have the right boat crew on the day of your crossing. You need someone with thick skin that knows you inside out, because the abuse and the places you go in your mind are so scary its crazy!
The Last Swim - Middle Brighton Pier, Melbourne
I fought with myself mentally for the first 3-4 hours and after that I told stories to myself about when we were travelling, childhood stories, said prayers, went through my timetables, but the best thing was simply ONE, TWO, THREE – these simple words saved my bacon. I am not under any illusions - I am fully aware of the hard work and mental preparation to be done in the next 3 months, but boy' god this was a wonderful learning curve.

Anyways I'm not going to bore you with every detail but there was a few cool things that happened during the camp in regards to research, self-learning and great advice/mentoring too. The camp was paired with bonds University as a research project directed by a successful nutritionist - Tara Diversi - and it was fascinating. Blood tests, urine samples, body fat, "fat folding" test (don't know the technical terminology for this one) all sorts of data collection along with nutritionists monitoring the type and quantity of feed consumed. This data is currently getting assessed and as a result, advice will be given about the type of nutrition we should consume at what time intervals, and also how my body reacted to the 13 - 14 degrees water at different times during the 8 hours. We even swallowed a temperature sensor in a small tablets and by doing this they could monitor our core temperature (COOL OR WHAT?!) and tell if I need to put any more weight on and which location it needs to be put on etc etc - FASCINATING HEY!
The last thing I’m going to say is, we received a talk from a pain management guy from Wollongong - it was all very technical and sure you know I’m not the brightest spark, but talking about having to manage your pain in a task like the channel was pretty interesting. We discussed pain as a warning to your body that something is wrong, whether it be big or small, that its inevitable that there is intense pain in these challenge and that's why it’s such an accomplishment - we deserve the pain we earned the pain - EAT IT UP!' That helped me to think of it like that - you know it’s not a serious injury and every ache and pain that I ever had,  small knocks that I got playing under 12 football came back and haunted me during the long 8 hour swim, but I was prepared to say “nope, not today - that’s just my mind playing tricks” and an orderly cue of complains, aches, reasons to get out, excuses and one faint quiet reason to stay in – “this is an 8 hour full on, intense battle of the mind and I have to just keep swimming”. That’s the greatest thing I got out of the camp. I have to clear my mind, take it elsewhere, eat the pain, be grateful, peaceful and powerful.. without this learning curve I wouldn't have believed anyone that says this challenge is 40% physical / 60% mental (I would even go as far as 30% / 70%!).
A massive shout out to Vladimir Mravec and Charmian Frend for their never ending enthusiasm, support and patience. Also to all the participants - you are all amazing and so inspiring, thank you for the help during each swim!
(Also if you have never been to Melbourne - it AMAZING! Food, wine, shopping and well organised transports… worth a nose!)



No comments:

Post a Comment