Pages

Friday 25 July 2014

Clowning About In County Cork!!

So I’m sure you have forgotten about me and glad I have not updated this blog – but I’M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hehehehe!!! A lot has happened since the last update, many many kilometres have been swum, and great times have been had - so here is a brief recap and insight into what’s to come. 

I have been training hard with Keith Garry - all credit to him, he is very focused and I think some of it has rubbed off! We have clocked some very decent weeks, mostly in Camlough Lake (where the heart lies), Carlingford Lough, Giles Quay and Donaghadee (starting point of the North Channel swim) - all equally beautiful in their own right. Home has been great, catching up with family, getting to know all the nieces and nephews, and being persuaded to babysit a little too often, palming off the hard work to my partner Alex BAHAHAHA (sorry). But it’s magical to say the least and it has reinforced how important and amazing family really is. Anyways enough emotional talk…

Now for the more serious stuff like swimming…When I first went to the cold water up north a couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a meltdown and was completely beaten, as I had never imagined what 11 degree waters actually felt like. But now I am stronger and have acclimatised BOOOOOOOOM! I feel like I’m in a great space and ready to rock!
I recently attended a Distance Swim Camp in county Cork and it was AWESOME – swum 101kms in 9 days, so it was very hard on the body and mind! It was run by locals of Sandycove, but the main man himself was Ned Dension, a wonderful character full of enthusiasm and shear passion for the open water. What a great privilege it was beating his ass on numerous occasions (but I’m not going to mention he is 50 odd and still storming on - fair play!). He amongst many others made this camp unique and every single swim was all guns blazing, but I have to give out special mentions to Keith Garry (we swum the majority of the camp together and really helped each other on…he gets in there, gets the job done and that’s it - no sh*t!) and also Ann-Marie Mullally, our local host extraordinaire and just an amazing person.
Keith and I

Camp Overview for anyone interested 
(hint for speed readers - days 4, 5 and 8 were not to be missed!):

Day 1 - AM was in Sandycove (which I missed to catch up with my aunty and cousins that I haven’t seen in years) followed by the Lee race in Cork City (2km) – a swim right through the heart of the city under pedestrian bridges and all! (and it was a wee bit dirty). I was pipped at the post for first place by 7 secs, so it was a good competitive swim and loads of fun!
Keith, Oonagh, Alex, Me and Mummy post LeeSwim, Cork

Day 2 – laps around Sandycove which is SO beautiful - the local people were very welcoming and so  proud of their island; we covered 6.5km (being enough considering we had a 8km race in Lough Allua that evening). When we got to Lough Allua, we all knew there was a horrific week of mileage ahead, but once the race started and I got involved there was no holding back! We have a race on our hands! 4 of us, Keith Garry, Sabrina Wiedmer  (recently crossed the north channel and would have to still be recovering GOSH this girl can swim),  and a local legend Trevor - all 4 of us powering along stroke for stroke. I have never experienced a full on battle for an 8km swim like this before, great fun and sport by all. I was lucky enough to just sneak home with first place and we all had a lovely feed at the local pub before heading home.
Sandy Cove Island

Day 3 – 5AM swim in Fountains town, and as we were travelling in a campervan we decided to park there the night before (anything for an extra few minutes in bed!). But this obviously was the spot for the night kiss…as there was lots of characters floating around for a bit of passion BAHAHAH, anyways up early for a good 4.5km swim and the water was very cold and rough coming back. The PM swim was back to the local grounds of Sandycove to cover a steady 4 laps (6.5km).

Day 4 – My arms were starting to feel the 8km race and screaming ‘WHAT THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU DOING, AND YOU HAVE PAID FOT THIS YOU FOOL’ anyways no pain no gain, so get on with it. AM we travelled to Blackwater in Fermoy – there were a few fresh faces and the tempo was lifted. I knew there was 5 LOOOONG days left and I couldn’t get too cocky, so was just happy to hang out and cover the mileage - 7.5km.
 
Lough Hyne Rapids- Go Mummy!
PM swim, the one I was MOST looking forward to – Lough Hyne. A magical place that feels like the end of the earth and completely untouched. It is a protected marine site with all sorts of interesting sea creatures found nowhere else in the world (something about the mix of salt and freshwater, as the lake has an outlet to the sea). There were natural rapids at the outlet that were absolutely unreal – you’d jump in at the top and they’d whoosh you down into the lake! Swimming against them you felt completely powerless. My mummy nearly had a heart attack jumping into them! We hit 4km in all and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face because the it was such good fun!


Lough Hyne Rapids!
Day 5 – bearing in mind we have 4 days left and I’m falling apart…we were back to Sandycove to turn out 6.5km in the AM - I felt the water particularly cold and was blaming it on me being tired and feeling sore in every fibre and joint in my body – but once we got out some locals had recorded 11.7oC in some areas, this made me very happy.
Jellyfish!!

PM swim was from the Speckled Door pub to Sandycove; not a massive distance but pretty open ocean along beautiful cliffs. I found this swim very very tough; my body was really imploding and sore, and I talked myself into the swim, out of the swim and then was sick listening to myself! Still clocking 1:31 for 100m pace but came out grumpy and wasn’t enjoying it, so I skipped out on the next AM session as my body was screaming for it.
Day 6 – AM enjoyed a bit of a sleep in (from an unreal seafood meal with mum and alex and a few sneaky drinks to break the week up). PM swim blew my socks completely off! Had no expectations as had never heard of the Copper Coast Co. Waterford, but it was MAGICAL and definitely in my top open water swims of all time. Thanks to Donal Buckley @loneswimmer for sharing his special discoveries and being so excited to do so. Ohh yea what made it so special….was swimming out to islands in the ocean, through rock caves and caverns with turquoise water - couldn’t believe I was in Ireland doing this swim!

County Waterford

Day 7 – AM swim was in Garryvoe to Ballycotton lighthouse – as Ned said ‘just swim over to the lighthouse’, dead on says I - it not looking so far away…. So I got in, and was swimming and swimming and SWIMMING and SWIMMMMMMMMMMMMING ahk FFS where the hell is this lighthouse!?!? Yes it is right in front of me, but I was swimming and getting no closer! This was the most mentally tough swim of the whole camp for me, and I personally felt it harder than the ‘torture swim’ (will elaborate later) and also the 6 hrs, because there was no talk and I had no expectations and was not prepared for it. It got me good and I genuinely was going to give up and get in the boat…but I was so proud of myself for just gritting my teeth and doing it – all in all it was a GREAT training session!

Day 8 – the Torture Swim…SHHHHHHHHHHHHH this was awesome and such  great idea, thank you Ned and all the torturers. I’m not allowed to say anything for future camp attendees, but let’s just say the aim is total body and mind confusion, whilst also covering a dirty 13.5mk swim, with the 6 hours HAUNTING me the next day.. did I mention I was staying in a campervan and my back was broke?! – ahh… the Irish loves a good ole complaint.

Day 9 – Target: 6 hours in the water around Sandycove Island – had great practise doing my feeding (taking energy drinks at 50min intervals because of the size of the island) and it worked a treat. Alex that will be feeding me in the North Channel was awesome, positive and pretty much born to do that job – BAHAHAHHA thank you so much! And thanks to Oonagh for her help too. But I was extremely happy with this swim, my last big hit out before the big day, covering just over 23km and speeding up after 4 ½ - 5 ½ hours to get in my fastest laps (pain killers are bloody awesome).

A MASSIVE thankyou to all involved and for all your inspirational stories, kindness and for sharing some of the most beautiful venues I’ve ever been in. I will be back (if Ned is kind enough to invite me and also I will be making mummy Mallon sign up, as she had the time of her life).

Keith, Ned and myself after 6 hour swim


I’m just about recovered 5 days later and back to a lovely steady 20 – 25km for the next 2 weeks. Will go and support my friend Caroline O’Hanlon playing netball in the Commonwealths next week, which I’m hoping will add to my drive and fuel me with inspiration. Basically I will be on call for the my Channel swim from the start of August onwards, now that Ireland has been like the Bahamas weather wise these last few weeks... Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooo!
Team Awesome - Copper Coast, Co. Waterford

2 comments:

  1. That's exhausting just reading it (in my warm cosy bed!). Wish we were there to see your swim - would be awesome. Love, hugs and best wishes from the Mclean's xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen, loving reading your blog it makes me want to jump in the water, then I remember what a tough cookie you were in training and realise how tough this must be! Great to hear our Keith is keeping you on your toes! Keep the stories coming!!! Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete