Pages

Wednesday 18 June 2014

News from Ireland!

Hey all… just a quick first update from Ireland, all is going great and it’s SUNNY! (surprisingly!) So that’s a great start. Millions of children everywhere with heaps of energy and lots of family, it really is amazing!

On the training front, I’m having a good week so far - gradually getting used to the colder waters – but just taking baby steps as it sure is different from Sydney. A few things that have happened.

My Family after completing the Triathlon
Camlough Sprint Triathlon (my local village) where the county goes clean mad for it and then the night after is lethal! I really enjoyed completing this with all of my family, except my oldest brother 
(he had planned to do it, however was so busy doing lifeguard duties during the first two waves he missed his wave), and am super proud of my mum who also participated. I was lucky enough to come in first local girl and won an oversized beer glass (…looked a lot like a trophy strangely) – which was pretty cool!

So back to swimming and cold water preparation – I have a new training partner (will never replace you Scott Miers, but he’s a bit more conveniently located and still legendary) - the one and only Keith Garry. In fine form he is and we are training a few mornings up at Camlough Lake in around 15 degree water (like a bath now that I am used to it hehe!). 

We also did an awesome swim from Carlingford to Omeath (temp in around 14 degrees), a 10km round trip where he got the better of me! Even had a visit fromm a nosey wee seal which kept our kayaker Alex company – CLASS! The homeland is so beautiful if the weather is kind.

Carlingford Lough - 10km round trip

Next big race is this Saturday from Giles Quay to Clogherhead around 20 – 25km (the ‘Port Oriel’) where a few local swimmers will participate either solo or as part of a team  (including my legend of an uncle Milo McCourt!)

Keith teaching me a lesson @ Camlough Lake
I also have to get a trip up the north soon to get in where the water is really 11 degrees or less - this is where it will make all the difference and start preparing me for all sorts of states of mind/hyperthermia etc.


So all is going well - keep tuned and will give a full low down soon of Port Oriel, cold temperatures and my new freedom of mind - no more need to think about sharks or anything weird like that!


Caught some dinner at the lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment